Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kefta Wraps

     Wow! It has been a while since I have last been on and a lot has gone on since. This is going to be the first of two posts. This one is going to be short and sweet.
     As mentioned before, I love middle eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. After visiting another favorite restaurant I decided to try my hand at making kefta. Instead of doing a kabob style kefta, I wanted to make a yummy wrap! I found a simple recipe and made some amendments with what I had available. 

Kefta Patties Recipe:
  • Half pound ground beef, I used 96/4 extra lean 
  • 1/4 cup chopped leeks or onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander seed
  • 1/4 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried mint
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • Juice of half a small lemon, ~3 tsp

     I mixed all ingredients until mixed thoroughly and placed in the fridge to allow the flavors to mix. After about 30 minutes I formed the meat into 2 4oz patties, long like. I pan seared them in a little olive oil until cooked through. To serve I wrapped the patties in flavored tortilla wraps and crunchy veggies, I choose cabbage since it is better than wilty lettuce. Makes 2 wraps.

Kefta patty with cabbage in a jalapeno cheddar wrap.

     The patty came out perfectly! It had the same tangy rich flavor as kefta I have had in restaurants. Even though I used lean meat, it was super juicy. The only thing that would make this better would be some tzatziki or garlic sauce from Sahara Palace. One wrap is 10 points on WW, and if you are super hungry both wraps come in with just 19 points! I recommend this to anyone who is looking to try new flavors in a hand-held meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment